One Dress- Five Different Looks

Many Lolitas out there are rarely content with sticking to just one style. And why should you be content with just one style when all of Lolita's styles are so fantastic? Besides buying whole complete outfits for each style, you can get away with buying dresses that work well with each style. In my examples I am using a black and white print dress from Bodyline that is actually an Innocent World knock off. This dress is actually no longer sold on Bodyline's site, but can occasionally be seen (or, on rare occasion, the Innocent World original) for sale second hand. For these coordinates any kind of black colorway JSK with a classical floral print can be used. I just so happen to like this particular dress.

Classic Lolita

The first, and most obvious choice, for such a print is a Classic Lolita coordinate. Pair this JSK with a high necked blouse (a favorite style of Classic Lolitas!) and a black, long sleeved bolero to give it a more sophisticated look. White over-the-knee socks, or even tights paired with some classic, almost retro styled shoes add to the sophistication. Try to avoid an overly cutesy purse, instead I've used a detailed square purse, it sort of has the same look as the classic traveling suitcase that is another favorite of Classic Lolitas. I've used a matching bonnet with this outfit because I think it gives the outfit a very Victorian vibe, but if you are not too into bonnets, go for a simple black Alice bow. Nothing head eating, just a small bow. Accessories are kept to a minimum with just a simple and cute gold ring and a cameo brooch fastened to the bolero. Hair should be kept simple and loose.

Country Lolita

What ever happened to Country Lolita? It seems like it almost completely got eaten up by either Sweet Lolita or Classic Lolita. In any case, this JSK would be a cute dress for a Country Lolita coordinate. Pair it with a simple white blouse, short sleeved to show off a pair of dainty crochet gloves. Keep the shoes simple and pair them with some knee socks, which give the outfit a more youthful look than over-the-knees. Top with a straw hat (full-sized please, mini straw hats tend to look silly) with a matching rose tucked in the brim. Accessorize with some simple pearls and a basket purse. Country Lolita tends to be balanced between mature and childish, the short sleeves and knee-socks are very childish, while the shoes and gloves give a more mature look. Go too much one way and you might end up looking too Classic or too Sweet, although straw hats and wicker purses are unmistakably Country Lolita accessorise. Do your hair in either a simple pair of pigtails or braids. I always imagine Country Lolita as a country girl wearing her Sunday best!

Gothic Lolita

A Gothic Lolita coordinate using this JSK might be a bit more of a challenge. Wear this JSK over a black blouse with a jabot (if you don't know what a jabot is, it's the ruffly pirate thing that some blouses have at the neck). To add more areas of black to this outfit, as I think the print is almost too cutesy for gothic, wear a black short jacket, especially one with tails or one that is longer in the back, add a pair of over-the-knee socks and a pair of Victorian boots. An elegant rose and ribbon head piece, a gothic purse, and gothic accessories finish the look. Wear your hair in a curly up-do.

Elegant Lolita

Okay, "Elegant Lolita" is not really a Lolita sub-style, but it's still another fun way of wearing Lolita. Think of it as a cross between Gothic and Classic. Wear a gauzy black blouse under the JSK and add a faux fur stole around your shoulders. A pair of black lacy tights combined with short Victorian boots make this coordinate look very vogue. Carry an elegant brocade or beaded evening bag, wear a feathery fascinator or a rose in your hair, and over-accessorize with lots of elegant pieces of jewelry in antique golds, ambers, pearls, and other colors that are in the print. Wear your hair long and loose in soft curls.

Hime Lolita

For a Hime Lolita look, go blouseless but wear a white bolero, it could be sheer, knit, or opaque. Add a pair of lacy white tights and a some high-heeled open-toed shoes. Carry a cute designer purse and accessorize with a princessly drop pearl necklace and matching rings and earrings. Wear your hair in a big Hime bouffant with a black and white bow.

You'll notice there's no Sweet Lolita up there! It's pretty hard to make that particular dress look Sweet in black, it just ends up looking Classic, Country, or flat-haired Hime. But if you decide to buy the dress in a red or pastel colorway, you'll be giving up the Gothic Lolita style (unless you get really creative) and trading it in for some Sweet Lolita. You can still make all the other coordinates just as easily in another color-way, just replace the black items with whatever color the dress is.

Red Version Sweet Lolita

Instead of a white blouse, I'm using a red blouse, just because I think it looks so much sweeter. And besides, it balances out the red shoes and the red head eating Alice bow. Knee socks add a more youthful look. Carry a cutesy heart-shaped purse and accessorize with lots of adorable accessories. Wear your hair in the traditional ultra-hairsprayed pigtails.

16 comments:

  1. This was a great post idea - everyone loves a versatile piece, don't they? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that! Since Lolita-clothers are expencieve, I like that one dress can be used in many styles. Myself, I perfer the Gothic Lolita, but the others are nice as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I love reading about ways to stretch my lolita dollar, as it were. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is so inspiring! I love finding ways to make one garment look good with many different styles and looks, that way you get your moneys worth I guess? And it makes one less boring. There is nothing I love more than versatility!

    I'm loving the elegant and gothic looks most of all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those boots on the gothic lolita coord, where are they from? They are lovely! *_* I must have them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for this post~
    I agree with the other comments, ahah. I wish my dresses were more versatile...but I find that the black dresses are the versatile ones. I have a red tartan dress, a green dress, and a pink skirt. I don't really see myself being able to pull off tons of styles with those. :S

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Really nice! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great! Such creative and lovely coords!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool and inspiring article ! (L)

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks caro-chan!!! this is really usefull for lolita on a buget!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful coords!
    May I ask where the blouse from the elegant coordination is from? I've been searching for one looking like that .__.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for this post! I love how you, unlike many other brand junkies, actually realize that Bodyline is very good for beginners and make posts about it. :3 Country Loli is my favorite style! I hope you do more posts on Country...
    -Heather
    http://foxylolita.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think this is one of your best article ! ~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Honestly I can't think that dress as a country dress. I'm sorry, but in my mind it just don't work... But the other outfits are indeed cute and look good to me. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad I found this post (almost three years after it was written)!!! I love this print and I had the bluey/greeny colorway JSK (the one I also noticed you have) but I gave it away. When I saw it pop up again on egl_comm_sales I knew I had to have it! Thanks for showing all these awesome coordinates! 

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are really amazing using one basic dress as the base for so many styles!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...